starting a new device driver: Issues, which should be considered?

Hi all,�
This is not specifically a doubt of technical type, but other issues concerning development of driver.
Say, for example, I come across a new device which is not� a common device, but something related to some industrial application.
There are few similar open source driver, but there is no driver for this particular device.
When I looked around for the specification details,� I found spec sheet available on internet publicly.

Now if the specification are available, Can I start writing the device driver out rightly or do I need to obtain permission from the company, whose device I am using(given the fact that spec sheet is available publicly)?

Secondly, how to collaborate for such project, I know barebone of driver writing, but not really worked on converting spec sheets into driver code.�
Where can I really ask experienced people about "what all to do?"(assume asking such naive questions on "lkml" will be a _bad_ idea).

Thirdly, device drive from scratch(or new driver based on similar driver) may be a big project, so what all places can I look for fellow developer, who are willing to contribute. One way I can think of is "I start a sourceforge project on my own and put it on some list?" any other ways?
What could be gpl or other licensing issues with such device drivers?

Thank you.
Regards
Anuz�

--
People ask the question... what's a RocknRolla? And I tell 'em - it's not about drums, drugs, and hospital drips, oh no. There's more there than that, my friend. We all like a bit of the good life - some the money, some the drugs, other the sex game, the glamour, or the fame. But a RocknRolla, oh, he's different. Why? Because a real RocknRolla wants the fucking lot.