How to set up a debugging environment.

Hi folks,

I am planning to work in the kernel debugging process.
My machine configs are
CPU: Intel dual core.
OS: OpenSuse 11.2

I have done the following things.

  1. downloaded Linux kernel2.6.15
  2. Download kgdb 2.6.15
  3. Extracted kernel applied the kgdb patch.
  4. Compiled bzImage.
  5. Installed qemu. Created an image qemu.img using the qemu-img command.
I thought all is set well, since I didn't get any errors until this point.
When I ran qemu -s -kernel bzImage qemu.img, it started a qemu terminal. Showed the version of the linux and a message, booting linux. After that there is nothing. I haven't used any bootloader, but I feel with this command the kernel should boot without bootloader.

How do I figure out what went wrong

Cheers !!!
Chaitannya

follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/chaitannya
--
I believe there's a hero in all of us who keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most... even our dreams.
- Spider Man 2