Kernel tunnel driver and routing?

Greetings

I put a question mark at the end of the subject line because I'm not sure
if the problem I have is to do with routing or not... First of all, define
the problem.

I'm using the tun driver within an application that opens a tunnel and
reads encapsulated data from the tunnel, munges it about (as applications
do!!) and then sends the reply back down the tunnel.

So far, I can open the tunnel and read data but the send data seems to
just disappear. Looking at ifconfig I see the send packet count and the
send byte counts increment but nothing traced on my wireshark monitor:-(

I've so far tried 3 methods of handling the IP/IP encap  data, all of
which have problems - the tun driver is what I'd prefer.

1. a raw-ip socket opened with a protocol value of 4 (IPIP encap type).
This receives and transmits the data OK but it appears that the socket is
not an exclusive listener because the encap'ed packets result in ICMP
messages being returned to the originator of the tunnel.

2. opening a socket and then doing an SIOCADDTUNNEL ioctl on it to create
a tunnel. There are no failures but my application doesn't receive any
data so it never sends anything!! ifconfig indicates RX packets and data
count but no idea where they go!

3. using the tun device as per the example in tuntap.txt. This is the one
that receives but doesn't transmit. I have notices that 'ip link' reports
that the encap type is ppp but I haven't found a way of changing that yet.

I've spent over 100 hours on this now, I seem to have read the iproute2
and iptables code a dozen times but still no further in understanding what
is going on...

--
Robin Gilks zl3rob/g8ecj
Internet: g8ecj@xxxxxxxxx    http://www.gilks.org