Re: Fwd: Embedded Linux development

"Most of these boards have export restrictions for 3rd world countries
and getting a clearance is beyond individual or group thing .... needs
more force :)"

Well... if you talk about "India" as the third world country... (Where I assume the original requester, Pavan Kandepet is from...) the above statement doesn’t seem to hold true.

Rajastan based IDA systems is a distributor for beagleboards and you could buy it from them without any customs or security clearance...

http://www.idasystems.net this their website.

http://www.idasystems.net/beagle_board

Personally I would prefer beagle board, because it is cheap, flexible and more importantly is a true-blue development platform with lot of expandability.

Jeevan

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Shaz <shazalive@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2010, topon topaz wrote:
>
>> Hi Pavan,
>> you can give a look at the OpenMoko FreeRunner. It's a Linux phone powered
>> by a Samsung S3C2442 ARM CPU.
>> It has USB,  WiFi,  Bluetooth, GPS,  SD card,  touchscreen  and it's a great
>> tool for investigating how Linux kernel work. They supply also a debug board
>> for debugging or flashing the boot-loader or OS. You can try several
>> distribution on it: OpenMoko, Debian, QT, Android...
>> Don't expect to use it as a regular phone because software is not as stable
>> as you might expect, but for experimenting its amazing.
>> All software and hardware is open. That means you can easily get the
>> schematics or data-sheet from Internet
>> I've bought it at the price of 260 Euro (included debug board and delivery
>> fee).
>> Regards
>> Luca
>
>  if you just want a dev board to get started, why not go with a
> beagleboard?
>
>  http://beagleboard.org/

Most of these boards have export restrictions for 3rd world countries
and getting a clearance is beyond individual or group thing .... needs
more force :)

I have been using OpenMoko as my favorite, while some friends also use
developer version of HTC Dream for Android. OpenMoko is more then
enough for starters and can do most of what the board does, while
beagle boards are more professional things for people who would
experiment more on the hardware side or would like more power and
utility for development.

--
Shaz