Fwd: Embedded Linux development

2010/1/1 Pavan Kandepet <pavankp@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello,
    I want to get involved and eventually get a job doing embedded
    Linux development. I had a couple of questions for folks who do
    this and could give me some advice. I am specifically interested
    in device driver development and embedded networking.

    I am competent in userland Linux programming and have done
    plenty of kernel compilations etc... I am also an electrical engineer
    and don't have problems reading processor or device manuals etc...

    I know I could get a development board and start working right away,
    but is there any specific development board that you folks would
    recommend which offers great Linux support? I should be able read and
    understand how most of the drivers and networking code work. ( I am
    interested in ARM processor boards). I want to tweak drivers and play
    around.

    Is there any way I could find out what new open source device drivers are
    being developed so that I could contribute? This would be a great place to
    start.

    If there are any embedded Linux developers on this mailing list, how did
    you get started? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks and have a great
    new year.
Pavan

Hi Pavan,
you can give a look at the OpenMoko FreeRunner. It's a Linux phone powered by a Samsung S3C2442 ARM CPU.
It has USB,  WiFi,  Bluetooth, GPS,  SD card,  touchscreen  and it's a great tool for investigating how Linux kernel work. They supply also a debug board for debugging or flashing the boot-loader or OS. You can try several distribution on it: OpenMoko, Debian, QT, Android...
Don't expect to use it as a regular phone because software is not as stable as you might expect, but for experimenting its amazing.
All software and hardware is open. That means you can easily get the schematics or data-sheet from Internet
I've bought it at the price of 260 Euro (included debug board and delivery fee).
Regards
Luca