Suggestions for implementing a persistent binary tree

There is a certain hashtable that I am currently implementing in the
kernel using file handling for sake of persistence. It is actually a
file-based binary tree (nodes are referred to by file offsets instead
of memory addresses). The problem is that the tree can get unbalanced
quite quickly and after a while, hashtable lookups slow down.

Is there a way I can use the kernel rb-tree mechanism and yet keep the
data persistent (that is every time I update the tree, the update is
also committed to disk and can be reloaded in the future).
I am thinking of using vmalloc to allocate a contiguous chunk of
virtual memory, and then use mmap to make it persistent, but again
this has problems like I can't have the slab allocator use this
vmalloc'ed memory. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Joel