Re: Mobile OS

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 08:09:50PM +0200, Michael Blizek wrote:
> Legally, you can call it open source. But what I am saying is that it is not
> open source in the way people expect it:

Um, there is no difference, sorry.

> - Devices are crippled locked down so.

That is a manufacturer decision, not a limitation of the software
itself.  I have a device that is not locked down, as do thousands of
others.

> - Large parts are not GPL/copyleft, but Apache license. The goal is most
>   likely to empower proprierary vendors to do what they like.

Apache license is "open source", sorry if you don't like that.

> - It is lead mostly by a single company and some who followed, not by a
>   community.

That has nothing to do with "open source" or not.

> - Lots of applications are proprierary. You cannot run the usual Linux
>   applications, as long as they are not completely rewritten.

That has nothing to do with the core and infrastructure being open or
not.  You can freely write closed source applications on Linux, and lots
of people do (Oracle, SAP, etc.)

The fact that you feel a "normal" Linux application can not run, again,
has nothing to do with calling the system "not open source".

> - There is a real comminity effort called openmoko.

openmoko is great, but it has nothing to do with Android and its
license.

> > available....unless u run commercial applications like Oracle on it???
> > nothing to say then :-)......
>
> No, but does having a BSD kernel make Apple's "OS X" open source?

No one makes that mistake.  Android is open, sorry if you don't like
that.

Now I do have lots of complaints about how Android is turning out, but
again, the license has nothing to do with that, I am very happy to see a
totally different userspace running on top of a Linux kernel.  It shows
how flexable the Linux kernel can be and makes you think twice about
what you want to call a "Linux" system :)

thanks,

greg k-h