Re: Mobile OS

oh micheal. You are saying that Android is not an open source?I am confussed. Forgive me if i am wrong..

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Michael Blizek <michi1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

On 23:46 Sat 10 Oct     , Niamathullah sharief wrote:
> Hi friends,
>    I want to learn about Mobile operating systems. So i started with
> android. May i know what are all the Other Open Source Mobile Free Operating
> System available?

Android is neither an operating system nor open. It is a GUI sitting on top of
the linux kernel. It is completely locked down. If you want to get your hands on
the system, you either have to crack it almost like a game console or buy the
"development" version. In both cases, you will loose the ability to run copy-
protected software (see http://lwn.net/Articles/321659/). I do not know how
anybody can call anything which has copy-protection built in "open" in the
first place.

If you want to see a community developed open software stack for mobile phones,
look at www.openmoko.org .

       -Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com