Re: Why no trylock for read/write_bh?

On 2009-04-12, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Jeffrey Cao <jcao.linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> basic concept is that there 3 types of context:   process, hardware
> interrupt, and software interrupt.
If you think so, what's the difference between hardware interrupt context and
software interrupt context?
What I know is that there are only two types of contextes: process, and
interrupt. Hardware interrupt handler and deferrable functions(including
softirq and tasklete) run in interrupt context.

> read this for further details (from LDDv3):
>
> http://lwn.net/images/pdf/LDD3/ch07.pdf
>
> within it explained what is a kernel thread.   So basically while
> running process A in kernel mode, it can be intercepted by any kernel
> threads, and these kernel threads therefore "DOES NOT HAVE PROCESS
> CONTEXT", as they are not related to the currently running process A,
If these threads does not have process context, then what context are they in?
hardware interrupt context? software interrupt context? Or you'll create another
new context named "thread context"?