Re: Why no trylock for read/write_bh?

On 2009-03-31, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> sorry, i think i just worked out the logic (correct me if wrong).
> ksoftirqd does not have any process context, so the input/output of
> procfs comes / goes to where?   therefore, it becomes illegal to
> access the procfs interface inside ksoftirqd context (kernel thread,
> which does not have any process context, so can be executed in any
> arbitrary process).

ksoftirqd does not have any process context? Then what context do you think
it is in?
What do you mean by "kernel thread can be executed in any arbitrary process"?

As what as I know, Linux does not distinct thread from process. They have the
same data structure task_struct. The different between thread and process is
that thread shares some resources from its parent process which process does not.

BTW, softirq does not exected only by ksoftirqd. It is executed in the following
points also:
1/ When hard IRQ returns.
2/ When system return from kernel mode to user mode.