Re: Why no trylock for read/write_bh?

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:00 PM,  <kristrev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> sounds like u need a mutex or semaphore lock.   not the spinlock type,
>>> nevertheless, pick your choice:
>>>
>>> c06f5040 T _read_trylock
>>> c06f5028 T _spin_trylock
>>> c06f5154 T _spin_trylock_bh
>>> c06f5061 T _write_trylock
>>> c0444958 T down_read_trylock
>>> c0444ec4 T down_trylock
>>> c0444978 T down_write_trylock
>>> c06f4096 T mutex_trylock
>>> c044e86e t rt_mutex_slowtrylock
>>> c06f4844 T rt_mutex_trylock
>>> c067ccc2 T rtnl_trylock
>>
>> Thank you, I will look into those.
>>

>>> but sorry, why "proc-variable" need bh-kind of lock?
>>
>> When reading/writing to a proc-variable, a softirq is triggered. And since
>
> any specific scenario where this can happened?   as far as i know,
> procfs is just a filesystem, and when u read/write to it, it gets
> treated as a filesystem operation:   fs/proc/:
>
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/x716.html
> http://ww2.cs.fsu.edu/~rosentha/linux/2.6.26.5/docs/DocBook/procfs-guide/index.html
> http://linuxgazette.net/115/nirendra.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procfs
>
> whereas softirq are handled via a kernel thread: ksoftirqd.   correctly?
>
> As for executing procfs operation inside the ksoftirqd context, I am
> not sure if it will happen or not, or what will happen if procfs
> operation is executed.  (by operations I meant for example:
> fs/proc/base.c:

sorry, i think i just worked out the logic (correct me if wrong).
ksoftirqd does not have any process context, so the input/output of
procfs comes / goes to where?   therefore, it becomes illegal to
access the procfs interface inside ksoftirqd context (kernel thread,
which does not have any process context, so can be executed in any
arbitrary process).

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh