Re: need help on writing a fs-module

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Santiago <santi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thank you for your attention!
>
> @Peter Teoh:
>> > But I'm a bit confused about your statement using fuse.
>> > Well, I have to confess, that I don't really understand what fuse offers,
>> > but
>>
>> FUSE just enable you to create any filesystem at userspace.....thus
>> doing away with the need for virtual machine like what you are doing
>> now.
>
> Ok - I gonna dig into the docs.
>
>> A good example of multi-fs working together is hostfs +
>> any-filesystem
>
> the problem is, I can't find any intros for real beginners like me.

You have underestimated the power of Google....:-).

http://www.google.com/search?q=simple+filesystem+linux+kernel&btnG=Google+Search

And from the above I found this:

http://shfs.sourceforge.net/

http://www.geocities.com/ravikiran_uvs/articles/rkfs-old.html====>on
how to write a simple filesystem.

These are very simple filesystem, which u can easily "adapt" (not
"copy") for your own use.

>> simplified function is in fs/libfs.c (not the same libfs earlier).
>
> So then I did not find libfs.
>
> I only found libfs.c in the kernel tree - on my debian box libfs stands for
> font-services and is related to X.

I am talking about:

http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.6/28-rc5/fs/libfs.c

> @Roberto A. Foglietta:
>> Why unionfs is not the answer to your needs?
>
> Hm, I only scratched the docs of unionfs and aufs a bit - the latter a bit
> deeper - don't know whether I got it right:
>
> I want to "manage" several other filesystems (like unionfs and aufs). The main
> difference is, I want to change the filesystem during a read or write
> operation. Change in the meaning of mount/unmount - not just use another
> pointer.
> Don't know whether unionfs or aufs support such an operation. I found no hint
> on that.
>
> @Peter Teoh:
>> not sure my understanding is correct...but the difference is that
>> Unionfs merge all FS into different directory hierarchy...but Santiago
>> wanted something secret....just like that of ext3 and
>> journalling...the file called ".journal" is in fact not visible to
>> anyone but the ext3 itself.
>
> Like in OO - information hiding would be nice, but is not my major interest.
> But as my teacher used to say: first make it work, ...
> The usage should be easy and without misunderstanding. Hiding the
> private/local filesystem could help.
>
> My major interest are:
> - no merging of the used filesystems
> - change the accessed filesystem during certain operations, or better said
> accessing several filesystems during read, compareable to md systems.
>
> But as I stated in a previous mail - I don't wonna care about physical devices
> (like md does).
>
> I don't know, wether it is possible to realize my idea ...
>
> So may be fuse is right for me - I'll gonna give it a try.
>
> kind regards
>
> Santiago

Overall....I am too confused on your requirements.....but there one
major hurdle u have to clear too....is the set of userspace tools
needed to manipulate the filesystem u created.   eg, mkfs to make fs.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh