Re: need help on writing a fs-module

Hello,

thank you for your attention!

@Peter Teoh:
> > But I'm a bit confused about your statement using fuse.
> > Well, I have to confess, that I don't really understand what fuse offers,
> > but
>
> FUSE just enable you to create any filesystem at userspace.....thus
> doing away with the need for virtual machine like what you are doing
> now.

Ok - I gonna dig into the docs.

> A good example of multi-fs working together is hostfs +
> any-filesystem

the problem is, I can't find any intros for real beginners like me.

> simplified function is in fs/libfs.c (not the same libfs earlier).

So then I did not find libfs.

I only found libfs.c in the kernel tree - on my debian box libfs stands for
font-services and is related to X.

@Roberto A. Foglietta:
> Why unionfs is not the answer to your needs?

Hm, I only scratched the docs of unionfs and aufs a bit - the latter a bit
deeper - don't know whether I got it right:

I want to "manage" several other filesystems (like unionfs and aufs). The main
difference is, I want to change the filesystem during a read or write
operation. Change in the meaning of mount/unmount - not just use another
pointer.
Don't know whether unionfs or aufs support such an operation. I found no hint
on that.

@Peter Teoh:
> not sure my understanding is correct...but the difference is that
> Unionfs merge all FS into different directory hierarchy...but Santiago
> wanted something secret....just like that of ext3 and
> journalling...the file called ".journal" is in fact not visible to
> anyone but the ext3 itself.

Like in OO - information hiding would be nice, but is not my major interest.
But as my teacher used to say: first make it work, ...
The usage should be easy and without misunderstanding. Hiding the
private/local filesystem could help.

My major interest are:
- no merging of the used filesystems
- change the accessed filesystem during certain operations, or better said
accessing several filesystems during read, compareable to md systems.

But as I stated in a previous mail - I don't wonna care about physical devices
(like md does).

I don't know, wether it is possible to realize my idea ...

So may be fuse is right for me - I'll gonna give it a try.

kind regards

Santiago