Re: How to use hardware debug registers?

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Wang Yi <leonidwang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   X86 has 4 hardware debug registers, which could be used to
> implement watchpoints in debuggers.
>   I checked gdb maillist and some gdb code to find out that gdb uses
> ptrace to set up hardware debug registers. I'm not familiar with
> details of ptrace syscall, but I know that a process can not ptrace

Not sure...but this email indicated that it is possible...and now he
is introducing something to disable it....but i cannot find it in
current linus git yet...

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/8/25/40

> itself. So there has to be a third-part program such as gdb to call
> ptrace.
>   My question is: is there any approach to use debugger registers
> directly without using a third-party program?
>   I mean to implement gdb's watchpoint in user program, so that I can
> set up hardware watchpoints manually and conveniently without gdb, any
> suggestions?
>
>   thx

anyway, current version of kernel does have API that interact with
hardware debug reg:

eg ptrace_get_debugreg()....so possibly avoid reinventing the wheel.....

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh