Re: need help on writing a fs-module

FUSE just enable you to create any filesystem at userspace.....thus
doing away with the need for virtual machine like what you are doing
now.

A good example is NTFS-3g, which is default in many distro
now....which really makes life easier....

> I suppose in userspace I can't read the superblock of other fs or call mapped
> kernelfunctions?!?

Can...the answer for doing that is in LIBFS.....userspace library to
read filesystem.....

A good example of multi-fs working together is hostfs +
any-filesystem....used in UML....and checkout the implementation...it
is really very simple...as a lot of the function fallback to vfs's
simplified version of the function......inside fs/hostfs....and the
simplified function is in fs/libfs.c (not the same libfs earlier).
And hostfs used syscall version of the read/write APIs to read/write
to the host FS, eg, pwrite64(), and thus does not make any assumption
of the base filesystem it is accessing.

Another simple FS is ramfs.

--
Regards,