Re: need help on writing a fs-module

Hello Peter Teoh,

> You have underestimated the power of Google....:-).
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=simple+filesystem+linux+kernel&btnG=Google+S
>earch

not really :)

That was exactly how I started.

> http://www.geocities.com/ravikiran_uvs/articles/rkfs-old.html====>on
> how to write a simple filesystem.

I already mentioned rkfs, which I also gave a try. But it is broken with the
current kernel and I didn't succeed in fixing it.

> >> simplified function is in fs/libfs.c (not the same libfs earlier).

not the same libfs earlier. I didn't find that earlier lib.

> > I only found libfs.c in the kernel tree - on my debian box libfs stands
> > for font-services and is related to X.
>
> I am talking about:
>
> http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.6/28-rc5/fs/libfs.c

well, thats the file "libfs.c" in the kernel-tree.
You talked about a userspace library libfs - which I didn't found.

anyway ...

Let me just say "Thank you" again - for your attention and the hint about
fuse.

Seems like fuse is an appropiate tool to do the job. After extending the
functions with debugging stuff, the samples from fuse are a good starting
point.
With a little patch of fuselib the first prototype is already working :)
... and I'm happy about caring only about the things I like to care about.

OK, with fuse there will be no "information hiding" in OO-sense, but I'm sure,
I'll find a way to make it usable.

kind regards

Santiago

kind regards