Re: [Bulk] Re: My overview of the kernel --> do I have it correct ??

Thank you for responding Rik;

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 19:55 -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:56:25 -0400
> William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >      1. I still have the suspicion, that experienced kernel programers
> >         have a mental map, construct, or guide posts -- call it what you
> >         will -- that you use, to locate within kernel code, the place,
> >         function, line, or whatever, to start trouble shooting, fixing
> >         or creating a piece of the kernel.  It may have been gained by
> >         osmosis resulting from years of experience, but still I believe,
> >         that it is probably there in your heads somewhere.  Of course,
> >         extracting this is biggest problem in expert systems.
>
> I believe that nobody knows all of the kernel code.
>
> Nobody.
>
> However, because the kernel is used like a library, with
> most code paths being fairly limited in scope from entry
> point to exit point, people can learn their "local area"
> of the kernel very well.
>
> In fact, because entry and exit points are so well defined,
> people do not need to learn the whole kernel.
>
> Besides, by the time you've learned everything about one
> version of the kernel, many things will have changed already
> upstream :)

As mentioned earlier, I am going to mull over this and the other things
that I have learnt.

I will probably use my time getting familiar with 'git'.  I assume it is
similar to SVN which I have used a couple of times.  I will download the
kernel source and, perhaps, cscope, and then do some tentative
explorations.

I will probably want to do some cross comparisons with the contents of
the /proc /dev and /sys virtual file systems of my own running kernel.

Along the way I will see if I can uncover some of those "entry and exit
points".

And then we shall see what we shall see.

Thanks to everyone for their patience.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3