Re: My overview of the kernel --> do I have it correct ??

Hi Rik;

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 20:57 -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:49:23 -0400
> William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >         The kernel is basically a set of tables (C struct) that are used
> >         to transform human type info into machine usable data.
>
> No.

Yes

> The kernel is basically a shared library with special privileges,
> meaning it can do things normal process code cannot do.  For this
> reason, the kernel is protected from normal process code.
>
> The kernel provides abstracted hardware access, device multiplexing
> (eg. multiple programs use the network card at once), storage and
> retrieval of data and other system services.

I appreciate the time you took to write the above definition.  It would
probably get me a passing mark on an exam.  But since I am well past
exams age, I must say that definition tells a learner nothing useful.

I bet you, that if a listed all the 'struct's in the kernel and built a
tree of the constants and pointers listed in the struct's fields, I
could outline everything the kernel does in a way that is organized and
clearly apparent.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3