Re: My overview of the kernel --> do I have it correct ??

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:49:23 -0400
William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>         The kernel is basically a set of tables (C struct) that are used
>         to transform human type info into machine usable data.

No.

The kernel is basically a shared library with special privileges,
meaning it can do things normal process code cannot do.  For this
reason, the kernel is protected from normal process code.

The kernel provides abstracted hardware access, device multiplexing
(eg. multiple programs use the network card at once), storage and
retrieval of data and other system services.

--
All rights reversed.