RE: how the interrupt handler(ISR) knows the source of interrupt ?

AFAIK it determines at a hardware level what causes the interrupt to be
triggered/flagged. Level IRQ determines whether an interrupt has been
triggered by the level of the IRQ line, Edge triggered by the leading
edge of the interrupt (as a signal on a line).

Why two different methods?

It depends on whether the interrupt is shared. If the interrupt is
shared Level Interrupts need to be used. If edge triggered interrupts
are used and two interrupts are generated at approximately the same
time, the processor will handle the highest priority then clear down the
interrupt, the lower priority interrupt may be lost. In the case of
level triggered IRQs, after clearing the higher priority interrupt the
interrupt line will remain high, due to the lower priority interrupt.
The processor will then see that another interrupt is pending and
service that as well.

Is that correct?

Martyn

----