Re: Bootloader and Device driver queries

On 3/30/07, Queenie de Melo <queenie245@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As per me… Kernel is the OS and Device driver comes in it..

Now I want to know… what the bootloader does then…

I understand that it brings up the processor (initialization) and
initializes the peripherals…
on general purpose computers
there is one more player in the game
BIOS: basic input output system

this is the first code which run on your system

Initialization of the peripherals like… Uart or Ethernet etc…. if its done
by bootloader then… driver would have to be written rite? So r drivers also
written in bootloader?

this is done by BIOS
which then invokes the boot loader
Now the bootloaders job is to get the  kernel image
and pump life into it

It depends on the OS whether to use the BIOS' services or not

Linux kernel does not use BIOS services
it reinitializes the device in its own style

so we can say that bare minimum drivers are written in/for the BIOS
due to the size limitations

& the linux kernel provides full fledged &
more intelligient drivers

on most of embedded platforms both responsibilites of BIOS & bootloader
are usually  handled by a single entity
so we don;t see a clear distinction between the two

CMIIW

then how does the flash( where bootloader is stored) and SDRAM ( where
Bootloader is run from) get initialized?

usually the memory device where the code which runs first is stored
is mapped to an address which the processor can access without
any initialization
then this code will do all the fancy stuff

 Hmmm…
Another question is… once the bootloader is run… it initializes the
peripherals and then tried to load the kernel. What if kernel is not there?
It would wait for the kernel… putting a message on console maybe…
What stage would the hardware be at this point? Does it enter any wait
state?
depends on what all the BIOS/bootloader has done before

 Will the bootloader still be in the SDRAM at this point of time?
yes

 Still another question is….

 Y is virtual addressing used? What is the benefit of using virtual address…
why cant we just give the physical address? Pyisical address and the
corresponding virtual address , both r anyway unique for a processor na.
then y virtual addressing is used?
this should have been asked in a different thread i think
anyways
I think one reason might be to make every process think that
it owns the whole 4GB of virtual address space even if the
system does not have that much of physical memory

which makes multiprogramming easier
CMIIW

--
Milind Arun Choudhary