Bootloader and Device driver queries

Hello,

 Iam a beginner in Embedded linux systems.

I have few doubts in this regard,

As per me… Kernel is the OS and Device driver comes in it..

Now I want to know… what the bootloader does then…

I understand that it brings up the processor (initialization) and initializes the peripherals…

Initialization of the peripherals like… Uart or Ethernet etc…. if its done by bootloader then… driver would have to be written rite? So r drivers also written in bootloader?

 then how does the flash( where bootloader is stored) and SDRAM ( where Bootloader is run from) get initialized?

 Hmmm…

Another question is… once the bootloader is run… it initializes the peripherals and then tried to load the kernel. What if kernel is not there? It would wait for the kernel… putting a message on console maybe…

What stage would the hardware be at this point? Does it enter any wait state?  Will the bootloader still be in the SDRAM at this point of time?

 Still another question is….

 Y is virtual addressing used? What is the benefit of using virtual address… why cant we just give the physical address? Pyisical address and the corresponding virtual address , both r anyway unique for a processor na. then y virtual addressing is used?

 Warm Regards

Queenie