Re: Opening files in kernel mode

<snip>
> Parallel port sniffer would be hard, it would require OS support
> because most of the time userland directly touches the parallel port
> using iopl() and outb()/inb().
Actually, I'm using VMWare. It is possible to configure the vm to use a
parport device file, so I think logging directly in the driver should work.

> > Now I only see one chance to get the device work under linux: I want to
> > write a driver that simply logs the traffic on the parallel port (the
> > scanner works together with the computer via a virtual machine that uses
> > the linux parport).
>
> You could give the virtual machine full access to the parallel port
> hardware, but still ask it to log all access to that port. That's what
> DOSemu allows and what was used to reverse engineer a couple of
> parallel port protocols under DOS (IIRC ZIP disk parallel port driver,
> among others).
It seems as if VMWare doesn't support that. The driver for the scanner is a
windows driver, so I think DOSemu won't be able to run the program.

<snip>
> > As I'm totally new to kernel development (I only read some books about it
> > a year ago), I ask myself if it is possible to open a regular / device
> > file in kernel mode.
>
> No, see the FAQ on the website. If it's lots of data, relayfs would be
> a good choice.
OK I'll have a look at the FAQ.

Thanks so far,
	Andi