Opening files in kernel mode

Hi!
A long time ago I got a parallel port scanner which only works under a
proprietary operating system because the manufacturer only develops drivers
for that os. I spent hours on searching a parallel port sniffer for that
operating system so that I can understand how the communication between the
device and the computer works. Unfortunately I didn't find a single parport
sniffer. Then I sent some emails to the manufacturer, but they never answered
my questions.
Now I only see one chance to get the device work under linux: I want to write
a driver that simply logs the traffic on the parallel port (the scanner works
together with the computer via a virtual machine that uses the linux
parport).
What I want to do is to write a driver that implements all the system calls
that the original parport driver implements. Each routine would only be a
redirect to the original parport driver. Besides it should write all the
traffic into a file.
As I'm totally new to kernel development (I only read some books about it a
year ago), I ask myself if it is possible to open a regular / device file in
kernel mode.

Sorry for my bad english.

	Regards,
		Andi