Re: usb-serial, ti driver loading 2 port instead of 1 port

Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 04:28:05PM +0000, john oliver wrote:
Hi,

To save you reading all of this, my questions boil down to

1) why might my EdgePort 1 port usb-serial adaptor register both 1 & 2 port
devices.

It's not the adaptor, but the driver that supports both.

2) are there significant changes between kernel versions 2.4.30 and
2.6.15in this respect, where the earlier driver detects the 2 port
only, and the
latter the 1 port.

Probably, there are a _lot_ of changes between those two kernel
versions.

I won't be able to put 2.6.x on the mips at the minute, but I can study the source code diffs.

details ..

I'm working with a mips based embedded board, running 2.4.31, and an Intel
Host running 2.6.15. My Edge Port 1 USB to serial adaptor behaves
differently on each.

PC
========
When I connect the USB end to my PC, dmesg shows

drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport
TI 1 port adapter
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport
TI 2 port adapter
[..]
io_ti 4-2:1.0: Edgeport TI 1 port adapter converter detected

Yes, see the _driver_ says it supports both types of devices, yet only
the 1 port device was found.

So, is the device not working properly?

It's working properly on the i32. Apologies for not clarifying this.

The io_ti is built as a module for the PC

mips board
===========
I do not built it as a kernel module on this board, because I get errors
(unresolved symbols tty_disc_ref and tty_ldisc_deref, think I need to update
my busybox modutils), so I build them in.

That might be the problem right there, try fixing that first.

Working on this.
When I connect the USB end to the board and look at dmesg I find

drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport
TI 1 port adapter
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport
TI 2 port adapter

but the 2 port adaptor has detected this time.

I don't see that in the logs.

Please show the full log messages.

usb_hcd_arc_probe :  ehci_hcd
USB Base Address: b1200100<6>usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 1 port detected
usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport TI 1 port adapter
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport TI 2 port adapter
[..]
hub.c: new USB device ehci_hcd-1, assigned address 2
usbserial.c: Edgeport TI 2 port adapter converter detected
usbserial.c: Edgeport TI 2 port adapter converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs) usbserial.c: Edgeport TI 2 port adapter converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)

Is this a little or big endian MIPS machine?
Little Endian.

Should also say that when I attempt to send or read to the device I get the following, which I guess is due to the above ..

/dev/usb # echo "123" > ttyUSB0
/bin/sh: cannot create ttyUSB0: Broken pipe

Can I also just verify that what I'm planning is feasible. I'd like to use my usb-serial adaptor to allow a remote user to log into my board via the usb using a virtual terminal. Once I get the driver working, I'll run something like getty to wait for incoming connections.

Thank you,
John