usb-serial, ti driver loading 2 port instead of 1 port

Hi,

To save you reading all of this, my questions boil down to

1) why might my EdgePort 1 port usb-serial adaptor register both 1 & 2 port devices.
2) are there significant changes between kernel versions 2.4.30 and 2.6.15 in this respect, where the earlier driver detects the 2 port only, and the latter the 1 port.

details ..

I'm working with a mips based embedded board, running 2.4.31, and an Intel Host running 2.6.15. My Edge Port 1 USB to serial adaptor behaves differently on each.

PC
========
When I connect the USB end to my PC, dmesg shows

drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport TI 1 port adapter
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport TI 2 port adapter
[..]
io_ti 4-2:1.0: Edgeport TI 1 port adapter converter detected

The io_ti is built as a module for the PC

mips board
I do not built it as a kernel module on this board, because I get errors (unresolved symbols tty_disc_ref and tty_ldisc_deref, think I need to update my busybox modutils), so I build them in.

When I connect the USB end to the board and look at dmesg I find

drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport TI 1 port adapter
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport TI 2 port adapter

but the 2 port adaptor has detected this time.

I hacked my driver to ignore the 2 port device type in usb_serial_register, only registering the 1 port, but then it doesn't load anything.

Johno