Re: usb-serial, ti driver loading 2 port instead of 1 port

Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 04:28:05PM +0000, john oliver wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> To save you reading all of this, my questions boil down to
>>
>> 1) why might my EdgePort 1 port usb-serial adaptor register both 1 & 2 port
>> devices.
>
> It's not the adaptor, but the driver that supports both.
>
>> 2) are there significant changes between kernel versions 2.4.30 and
>> 2.6.15in this respect, where the earlier driver detects the 2 port
>> only, and the
>> latter the 1 port.
>
> Probably, there are a _lot_ of changes between those two kernel
> versions.

I won't be able to put 2.6.x on the mips at the minute, but I can study the source code diffs.

>> details ..
>>
>> I'm working with a mips based embedded board, running 2.4.31, and an Intel
>> Host running 2.6.15. My Edge Port 1 USB to serial adaptor behaves
>> differently on each.
>>
>> PC
>> ========
>> When I connect the USB end to my PC, dmesg shows
>>
>> drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport
>> TI 1 port adapter
>> drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport
>> TI 2 port adapter
>> [..]
>> io_ti 4-2:1.0: Edgeport TI 1 port adapter converter detected
>
> Yes, see the _driver_ says it supports both types of devices, yet only
> the 1 port device was found.
>
> So, is the device not working properly?

It's working properly on the i32. Apologies for not clarifying this.

>> The io_ti is built as a module for the PC
>>

>> mips board
>> ===========
>> I do not built it as a kernel module on this board, because I get errors
>> (unresolved symbols tty_disc_ref and tty_ldisc_deref, think I need to update
>> my busybox modutils), so I build them in.
>
> That might be the problem right there, try fixing that first.

Working on this.
>> When I connect the USB end to the board and look at dmesg I find
>>
>> drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport
>> TI 1 port adapter
>> drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport
>> TI 2 port adapter
>>
>> but the 2 port adaptor has detected this time.
>
> I don't see that in the logs.
>
> Please show the full log messages.

usb_hcd_arc_probe :  ehci_hcd
USB Base Address: b1200100<6>usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 1 port detected
usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport TI 1 port adapter
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport TI 2 port adapter
[..]
hub.c: new USB device ehci_hcd-1, assigned address 2
usbserial.c: Edgeport TI 2 port adapter converter detected
usbserial.c: Edgeport TI 2 port adapter converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs) usbserial.c: Edgeport TI 2 port adapter converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)

> Is this a little or big endian MIPS machine?
Little Endian.

Should also say that when I attempt to send or read to the device I get the following, which I guess is due to the above ..

/dev/usb # echo "123" > ttyUSB0
/bin/sh: cannot create ttyUSB0: Broken pipe

Can I also just verify that what I'm planning is feasible. I'd like to use my usb-serial adaptor to allow a remote user to log into my board via the usb using a virtual terminal. Once I get the driver working, I'll run something like getty to wait for incoming connections.

Thank you,
John