Re: Attempting to kill init!

Manav Kataria wrote:

Look for program called 'memtest86'. It is a bootloader of it's own so
it needs as little memory for it's own code.

SuSE install CD contained it and allowed booting it last time I used it
(which was SuSE 9.3).

Really! I had come accros a comment that said RAM might causes this problem but I din't suspect that as windows booted okay.

Windows seem generally less succeptible to hardware problems, than
Linux.
Thanks for the tip. I'll reinstall the RAM and get back to you.
I reinstalled the RAM but it didn't help.

In the morning before coming to office I started that RAM test from the SuSe CD. I got the Memory Test running in TEXT mode. It was on for 40 minutes before I left home and by then it had passed 13 tests and 14th was in progress without any errors.

That's good news - My RAM is fine! And bad news - We still din't find the problem!

Anyways I'll let you know by tomorrow the final result of the test. Do you want me to run any specific tests? Like with caching enabled/disabled in particular ? (I think this is the SuSE 9.1 version which I used.)

Thanks Jan,
Manav.

Manav,
You could try adding "acpi=off" as a boot parameter.
walt