Re: CASE/design tools used through linux development

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 23:01 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 08:30:21AM +0200, MHD.Tayseer Alquoatli wrote:
[...]
> > I agree .. but i don't understand how new ideas are shared between kernel
> > developers without a formal description .. if a new feature or a
> > modification to the kernel's internal design going to be done .. how this
> > can be specified ? just through sharing the idea in mailing lists ?
>
> Exactly.  And usually there is no "design" other than a half baked idea.
> And even with a description of an idea, no one will take you seriously.
> You have to show code (hopefully working code) before anyone even pays
> attention.

And the de facto requirement of a somewhat working protoype
implementation as a patch inhibits automatically lots of theoretical
discussions of theoretical problems or situations - especially with
people who think that having a good idea is the most important thing on
"invention" (and the implementation is left to someone else).

> > what about design conflicts ? this is the most thing i'm astonished not to
> > happen .
>
> Happens at times, but pretty rarely.

I would say it happens quite often. But it is usually pretty fast
resolvable if a real prototype/patch is there (since you have a focus
for your dispute).

> > can you explain please how this are not leading to design conflicts
> > without a big picture of the kernel design ?
>
> There is no "big picture" other than "A relativly POSIX style operating
> system" so we are pretty much free to do what we want to do within those
> boundries (which is quite large).
>
> Design conflicts don't happen because it is rare that two different
> groups of people show up with two different chunks of working code.

For "larger design conflicts" yes. Above I was more on a smaller scale.

[...]
> But for other "simple" things like new drivers, those get added quite
> easily.

Yes, there usually no design decisions which influence the rest of the
kernel.

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services