CASE/design tools used through linux development

Hi All:
what are the CASE/Design tools that are used through Linux kernel development ?
after many days searching the web i couldn't find an answer ... till i felt that there are no such tools
but I was wondering that how such a big project like the Linux kernel was developed relying only on source code and some books that tries to explain the Linux kernel internal design and architecture ? no diagrams .. no charts .. no specifications, no dfd .. no fsm .. no std .. no uml
i can't believe that the kernel was being developed since 1991 with only code and the design in mind (i don't think it can fit in ones mind) or some informal design specification on papers (although i couldn't even find such papers)
Sorry if this wasn't the right place to ask such a question, but i think that at least there are many kernel hackers here who can guide me to the right place
thank you in advance

MHD.Tayseer