Re: CASE/design tools used through linux development

Hi Greg, Mulyadi

> what are the CASE/Design tools that are used through Linux kernel
> development ?

There are none used by the kernel developers, sorry.

I was expecting this, but i couldn't believe my expectations .. but now i believe it ;-)

> i can't believe that the kernel was being developed since 1991 with only
> code and the design in mind (i don't think it can fit in ones mind) or some
> informal design specification on papers (although i couldn't even find such
> papers)

It's evolutionary design, not formal design.  And it works.  Really
well.  I'm sure you can agree.

I agree .. but i don't understand how new ideas are shared between kernel developers without a formal description .. if a new feature or a modification to the kernel's internal design going to be done .. how this can be specified ? just through sharing the idea in mailing lists ?
what about design conflicts ? this is the most thing i'm astonished not to happen . can you explain please how this are not leading to design conflicts without a big picture of the kernel design ?

And yes, the Linux kernel development process blowes away all known
"good practices" for how to design and develop software.  Our rate of
change for a stable kernel tree is HUGE!  And people are noticing and
starting to write thesis on how we do this, and why it is working out so
well.

I've given a number of talks on this topic in the past, see:
         http://www.kroah.com/linux/talks/ols_2004_kernel_devel_talk/index.html
for an older one.
Hope this helps,

Thank you Greg, It helps :-)