Re: Device Driver testing - Please CC the reply to my email address

Greg KH wrote:

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 03:36:02PM -0800, Arun Srinivasan wrote:
I am new to device drivers. I have had a glance at Linux device drivers
book, but it talks about writing drivers only. What I need is what are the
issues I need to look into apart from just testing to see if the driver
works. How do I go about finding bugs?

Why do you need to do this?  If everything works just fine for you, then
what bugs are there for you to find?  :)
I haven't written a device driver (every time I decide to try it, turns out
someone else has already written the darn thing!), but it seems to me there's lots of things that could go wrong in kernel space, even if the device works.

- Memory leaks.
- Corrupting kernel memory, thereby causing random failures elsewhere.
- Improper use of hardware APIs, thus interfering with the operation of
other devices on the same hardware bus.
- Lock snafus.

Cheers,

-- JK