Re: Device Driver testing - Please CC the reply to my email address

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 10:26:55PM -0700, Joe Knapka wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 03:36:02PM -0800, Arun Srinivasan wrote:
> >

> >>I am new to device drivers. I have had a glance at Linux device drivers
> >>book, but it talks about writing drivers only. What I need is what are the
> >>issues I need to look into apart from just testing to see if the driver
> >>works. How do I go about finding bugs?
> >>

> >Why do you need to do this?  If everything works just fine for you, then
> >what bugs are there for you to find?  :)
> >

> I haven't written a device driver (every time I decide to try it, turns out
> someone else has already written the darn thing!), but it seems to me
> there's lots of things that could go wrong in kernel space, even if
> the device works.

Oh there's loads of ways it can go wrong, and I think I've done all of
them in the past :)

> - Memory leaks.
> - Corrupting kernel memory, thereby causing random failures elsewhere.
> - Improper use of hardware APIs, thus interfering with the operation of
> other devices on the same hardware bus.

This is pretty rare with the way the kernel bus subsystems work today,
thankfully.

> - Lock snafus.

All of these others can be helped by posting the code for review.

thanks,

greg k-h