Re: booting linux kernel

On 10/14/05, Deepak Joshi <deepak_cins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I want to learn the complete booting process of linux
> kernel. which files and function it uses, how it
> initilizes the memory and devices upto serial port
> communication. can any body plz tell me the book or
> any link which explains all this. or just the pointers
> to kernel code from where to start.

I used to think that I could easily learn this from a book, then I
tried going through the boot code for myself when I started doing
board ports. The best way to understand the code is thus:

* start in arch/<your arch>/kernel/head_blah.S
* follow through calls to start_kernel
* begin inserting printk statements
* compile and watch trace

This is good because it forces you to actually learn where the files
are as you instrument them and is infinitely better than reading a
book or just blindly following some other tool, in my own opinion.

Of course you could also run gdb against /proc/kcore to see minimally
useful output or have a fancy hardware debugger like the BDI2000 lots
of us embedded folks use to pick and poke at Linux and do obscene
stuff with the aid of gdb remote.

Jon.