Re: Kernel 2.6 Book

On 10/15/05, prasad Musale <prasad.musale@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanx for reply. I have LKD by Robert love with me. It's covering
> 2.6.10.

Me too, I brought to India for random reading when it's too hot. Most
of the recent books covering the 2.6 kernel series are based upon
2.6.10 because it's the version which culminated lots of ongoing work
at the tail end of last year and came just in time for the frantic
"must write faster" holiday seasion. UTLK probably will be focusing on
something similar since (as LWN will show) the major API changes are
relatively small and we've shifted to a new release model that might
result in more frequent versions now anyway so it'll all be a bit
screwd if you guage on release.

> But it's at more abstract level, not like UTLK.

UTLK is a good book historically, but it's /far/ too Intel weenie ish
and not all round enough really. It's also not too specific to a
kernel release since it focuses on concepts - obviously they'll need
to redo the diagram in Chapter 1 (is it chapter 1?) for 4 level page
tables and rewrite some other chunks for generic 2.6 but other than
that I think the LDD3 gang are the ones actually most affected by
changing APIs. Core kernel doesn't change every day of the week now.

Greetings from Ahmedabad, where the sun is hot and the net access is
unbelievable :-)

Jon.