Re: booting linux kernel

On 10/14/05, Fawad Lateef <fawadlateef@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/14/05, Deepak Joshi <deepak_cins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to learn the complete booting process of linux
> kernel. which files and function it uses, how it
> initilizes the memory and devices upto serial port
> communication. can any body plz tell me the book

as fars as book is concerned, i think the Linux process manager by Mel Gorman , is a great book to understand the preliminary things .though it is 2.4 centric still not a bad start at all.

> any link which explains all this. or just the pointers
> to kernel code from where to start.

well as fars pointers ar concerned.look for start_kernel() for architecure independent booting and see setup_arch() ( i don remeber exact name of the method , sorry for it) for architecture specific setup prior to init process boot up.

also check out the init directory and sources inside for all the booting related stuff.

hope it will help. :-)

regards

play the game