Re: booting linux kernel

Hi, I'm Thorsten, a new reader.

Deepak Joshi wrote:
Hi all,

I want to learn the complete booting process of linux
kernel. which files and function it uses, how it
initilizes the memory and devices upto serial port
communication.

I would suggest to try user mode linux (UML). With the
current kernel versions you don't need any patches anymore,
neither for the host nor for the uml-kernel itself.

The first relevant function there should be
init/main.c:start_kernel

To get started, refere to
http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/UserModeLinux-HOWTO.html

In case of problems,
http://www.mail-archive.com/user-mode-linux-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/index.html
is a good source of information.

Just a few tips:
- use a new folder for the UML kernel, dont work on the same folder you use to build your host kernel - don't use versions of gdb older than 6.3! I had an older version before and lots of trouble to get startet.

greetings
Thorsten