Re: 2.6.9: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

yes but it has no such config option because it is on by default.

I'm still confused. If it's on by default, then why doesn't my module's version magic have it? Well, I guess the answer is because I used /usr/src/linux-xxx to compile my module. But that has worked for every linux distro (and we support A LOT of them) except FC2 and FC3. At this point, I'm just curious as to what /lib/modules/xxx has that /usr/src/linux-xxx doesn't have.

no there is something seriously fucked up in your build process. You
*cannot* use /usr/src/linux-xxx in FC2 or FC3 to build modules, just
like you really shouldn't have done so with FC1, RHL9 or older.
(In fact, fc3 doesn't even ship with a /usr/src/linux anymore)

Yes, I realize that now. The reason I wasn't using that is because the /lib/modules/xxx directory only exists if you compile and INSTALL the kernel. For our driver, it was a lot easier to just download the kernel source tree (from wherever) and configure it.

Also note that on Red Hat 9.0, for example, /lib/modules/xxx is just a symlink to /usr/src/linux-xxx.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer