Re: 2.6.9: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

and you are loading your module in to ONLY the kernel you compiled with
your new .config ?

Well, not exactly. I'm assuming that the .config file that was supplied with Fedora is an exact match of the kernel that was installed. Every other distribution I've worked with provides the correct configuration file, which eliminates the need for me to compile and load a kernel.

Upon further examination, I noticed the file /boot/config-2.6.9-1.667smp, which is probably the file I should be using. However, this file is broken, since it doesn't define CONFIG_4KSTACKS. So unless the real kernel configuration file Fedora Core 3 is hiding somewhere, I can only assume that this is a Fedora bug.

you cannot mix and match random configs and modules. You *have* to use
the EXACT headers from the kernel you are building for. It seems you
very much are NOT doing so.... and thankfully 2.6 catches this and
refuses the module.

It appears that the exact headers and configuration file for Fedora Core 3 are just not available anywhere.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer