Re: 2.6.9: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 09:13 -0600, Timur Tabi wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> > and you are loading your module in to ONLY the kernel you compiled with
> > your new .config ?
>
> Well, not exactly.  I'm assuming that the .config file that was supplied
> with Fedora is an exact match of the kernel that was installed.

that is true for the /boot config

>   Every
> other distribution I've worked with provides the correct configuration
> file, which eliminates the need for me to compile and load a kernel.

I think you are way overkilling

> Upon further examination, I noticed the file
> /boot/config-2.6.9-1.667smp, which is probably the file I should be
> using.  However, this file is broken, since it doesn't define
> CONFIG_4KSTACKS.

The fedora kernel doesn't have CONFIG_4KSTACKS at all

>  So unless the real kernel configuration file Fedora
> Core 3 is hiding somewhere, I can only assume that this is a Fedora bug.

But: YOU DO NOT NEED THIS CONFIG NOR THE SOURCE.

> > you cannot mix and match random configs and modules. You *have* to use
> > the EXACT headers from the kernel you are building for. It seems you
> > very much are NOT doing so.... and thankfully 2.6 catches this and
> > refuses the module.
>
> It appears that the exact headers and configuration file for Fedora Core
> 3 are just not available anywhere.

the exact headers are available in /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/build/include, which is the *ONLY* location you should use. (fwiw
that is true since RHL 7.0 or so already)