module version mismatch

Hello,

A while ago I read Rubbini's Device driver book. I couldn't complile the
simple "Hello World" module due to "Version Mismatch". Using "insmod -f"
worked but then "rmmod" couldn't unload the module" and rebooting was
required. So, I just went ahead and compiled the pseudo driver into the
kernel instead of as a module.

I would still like to be able to be able to write a driver as a module in
Linux and avoid the long compile reboot cycle. Can someone give me
poitners how to get over the version mismatch ?

My kernel version is 2.4.20 (Red Hat 8.0) and far as I remember , module.h
wants "2.4.9" or something.

The following attempts did not succeed:

1. Make menuconfig..............
          Set version information on modules = "NO"

In this case the OS wouldn't boot properly. It could mount the filesystem
saying "optional symbols" could not be found.

2. Instead of #include <linux/module.h>, I tried

       # include "/home/tony/mykernel/include/linux/module.h"

There is no difference in results in this case.

Thanks,
Tony