troubleshooting usb-storage

I've got an embedded mips system that has a flash card reader chip.
The chip is accessed via usb as a usb-storage device, so I expect that
I won't need any special driver for my linux 2.4.18 kernel.  However,
I am unable to mount, fdisk, or otherwise access the cards that I plug
into the reader sockets.  I see errors on the console like "transport
indicates command failure" and "sda : READ CAPACITY failed."

I've tried quite a few troubleshooting methods, but I have run out of
ideas.  I've posted some symptoms at the following locations:

http://www.rokulabs.com/phison-shell.txt    (stuff I tried in the shell)
http://www.rokulabs.com/phison-console.txt  (errors printed on console)

If anyone can give me some troubleshooting tips, I would be eternally
grapefruit!

Dave

PS I already set CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG=y