Re: kernel executable?

* Ron (ke7rt@clearwater.net) wrote:
> Chris,   I did run lilo -v and that confirmed it also  ( i think????)

did it show both tags (old image, and new one)?

> I think now that it is executable because i do get the message shortly after
> BIOS that it is "booting  the kernel) and a bunch of messages (just like the
> other kernel fly by) until:
>

>      it is stalling/hanging/crashing just after the RH query to enter the
> Interactive mode

you mean the splash screen?  oh wait, you mean "Press 'I' to enter
interactive startup".  That's _way_ into the boot sequence.  Init has
already started, and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit is setting up userspace.  Look
in that script, and see where it's hanging.  In my rc.sysinit script,
dmesg and mounting /proc are the two things after that message.  Both of
those talk to the kernel.  Did you configure PROC_FS support?  You get
the idea...start from where you know it's working and move forward until
you find the problem.  You may need to make an initrd as well since RH
kernels tend to be very modular.

good luck,
-chris