Re: The never ending story about make linux

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 11:49:02AM +0100, Michael Svetlik wrote:
> First, make moans about a non-existant g++, needed to compile and link
> some stuff in ./scripts. 'make' is right here, I dont have a c++ compiler
> with that name, but I dont need one - the kernel is written in ANSI-C.

Well, no, and no. :) The kernel is written in gcc's dialect of C. It
looks more like ISO/ANSI C than K&R C, but it is not ISO/ANSI C.
Differences can be found in the gcc info pages on your system, assuming
your GCC installation is complete.

Also, the make xconfig target now uses qt for the graphical interface,
and uses C++ to access qt. So, using the kernel's make xconfig tool
requires QT libraries and QT devel packages (header files) and C++ support.

> Next, make runs a while, until it crashes with SEGV, after having dumped
> tons of lines like

Yikes; compiling kernels shouldn't segfault. Can you compile any kernel
without segfaults? (Check the useful sig11 FAQ.)

> >> /boot/config-2.4.18-3:1893: trying to assign nonexistent symbol ...

Hummm; this sounds familiar, but only when compiling kernels from
vendor source packages. When compiling from ftp.kernel.org kernels, I've
only seen the make {vmlinuz,vmlinux,bzImage,zImage} targets use .config.
If you're feeling adventurous, you could run something like "strace -o
/tmp/out -f make bzImage" and then grep through /tmp/out to try to get
an idea where/why /boot/config* files are brought into the mess.

I hope this helps. :)

--
Too bad life doesn't have a :q! command.