Re: Applications using clone()

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 12:44:59PM +0530, MAASK Group wrote:

[please don't hit the submit button twice in your web mail software;
that causes two copies to be sent to the list. Thanks.]

>   We would like to know whether most multi-threaded applications use
> clone() or pthreads_create() to implement threads.Specifically we want to
> know which applications use clone() instead of pthreads_create().

Perhaps what would be more fruitful would be investigating a single
application that you are interested in. If you like MySQL, download
mysql source; if you like postgresql, download postgresql source. Read
the source to discover what threading libraries, if any, are needed.

Honestly, start with whatever application you care about...

For some fun, grab your distribution's CDs, the ones containing source
rpms[1], install them, prepare them[2], and grep through all source for
libpthread, to see if anything uses libpthread any more; grep for clone,
or thread, or other likely keywords....

[1]: debian users already know about apt-get source. Slackware users,
just go hunting. :)

[2]: rpm -i the src.rpm. rpm -bp path/to/spec/file. (Newer versions of
rpm have had rpm -bp replaced with rpmbuild, or rpm-build.) See the rpm
documentation on rpm.org for details on using rpm.

--
"Soon everyone will have an SUV, making roads obsolete and saving
millions in highway costs." -- Mo Rocca