The never ending story about make linux

Hi, again.

It's not the first time, make exits with $?>0 within a kernel tree, and I'm
getting fed up with digging those Makefile's, config.somewhat's and ./script/'s.

It's a pure, stock, unmodified linux-2.5.59.tar.bz2 file from kernel.org, I have
extracted into my home. I say 'make xconfig' - a well known command.

First, make moans about a non-existant g++, needed to compile and link
some stuff in ./scripts. 'make' is right here, I dont have a c++ compiler
with that name, but I dont need one - the kernel is written in ANSI-C.
Ok, make love, not war, and do a symlink to some g++-2.95.3 lying around.

Next, make runs a while, until it crashes with SEGV, after having dumped
tons of lines like
>> /boot/config-2.4.18-3:1893: trying to assign nonexistent symbol ...
Somewhere before this error orgasm I see the line
>> # using defaults found in /boot/config-2.4.18-3

Booom. Why the hell is that make digging in /boot on my disk ? I say
'make xconfig', and I know what I do. I didn't say 'make oldconfig'
or 'make randomconfig' or whatever.
Ok. There's a stale RH kernel config file in there, but: I translated a lot
of 2.4.xx, some 2.5.xx, and all went well - as expected. Any regression
test should have revealed that mis-behaviour - if performed with
according vectors.

I've checked the in-tree Docs - ok, I did 'grep -rw -A 2 -B 2 boot * | grep config'
- and there was no word about that config-defaulting. So, who in the world
_REALLY_ knows, how a Linux kernel is to be made ? If that person exists,
would she/he be so pleasant and share here/his knowledge ?

Am I too bigheaded, if I would volunteer for regression tesing ?