Re: Doubt on rebooting a Local CPU on PCI Card

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:06:34AM +0530, Anjaneyulu wrote:
> Hi,
> In the current issue, the target is given a cold reboot without the host
> being rebooted.
> In usual case, the host detects the card and allocates memory space in the
> PCI address space.

If it works depends on the hardware.

> In addition to giving a cold reboot, are there any PCI config cycles need to
> be generated? If yes, what's the procedure (APIs)?
> By "config space", I meant PCI configuration space.

Depends. If the hardware is correctly designed, they put a PCI-PCI
bridge between the host and target PCI busses so a reset on the target
bus doesn't necessarily reset the host bus. The host sets up the
PCI-PCI bridge, and if it's not reset by the target PCI bus, nothing
special would be done.

If the PCI-PCI bridge is reset, or if there is no bridge between host
and target (and the host doesn't get reset by a target reset), it's
like PCI hotplug without physically hotplugging the device. Look at the
PCI hotplug code and figure out if you can initiate an unplug action
prior to target reset and a plug action after the reset.

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw
Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl  mouw@nl.linux.org