Re: Trying to build 2.5.46 (now 47)

"Mark Hamblin" <MarkHamblin@cox.net> wrote:
>Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I've that particular dilemma solved.
>I started over today with 2.5.47.  I ran into many of the same issues I had
>before, but I got it compiling and loading -- and then I ran into the same
>problem as before.  By pure luck, I noticed some messages that were produced
>by my good configuration that led me to turn on the PROMISE PDC... drivers,
>which eliminated this problem.
>
>Pure luck.  Isn't there a better way?  I for one would rather not rely on

Usually you know what hardware you have (if you build your kernel
on your own). This includes IDE vs SCSI and the respecitve
controller(s), ISA, PCI, or both of them etc.
`lspci` lists PCI information and you cpuld look into /proc to find
driver information in general.
And no, there is no generic "list all my PC hardware" command or
method, since this information is not available from the BIOS or
somewhere else, so even the kernel (i.e. the respective drivers) has
to probe and look if the supported hardware is actually available.

	Bernd
--
Bernd Petrovitsch                              Email : bernd@gams.at
g.a.m.s gmbh                                  Fax : +43 1 205255-900