RE: Trying to build 2.5.46 (now 47)

One way of determining some of your hardware for a raw
machine is to boot with 'Tom's Boot Disk'

http://www.toms.net/rb/

And then use

cat /proc/modules
cat /proc/devices

In the case that a device is a load-able module, it will
show up in both directories. For in-kernel modules, you'll
see them in devices.

/sbin/lspci

will also give you some idea of the hardware on the PCI
bus.

Dave