Re: Learning

* Zwane Mwaikambo (zwane@linux.realnet.co.sz) wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2002, Momchil Velikov wrote:
>
> I don't see how boottimes will help you here, unless the box takes aeons
> to boot, 1minute and 5minutes are essentially the same thing.

No, they aren't.  People who care about HA care about boot times.
Consider 5 nines is ~300 seconds.  It's not a mystery that most HA
solutions include a journaling filesystem.  Granted, while the crashed
system is rebooting it's services should have failed over, but there
is no reason to prolong the downtime of any element in a system that
expects to provide a highly available service.

> >   "Using a cluster to hide the fact that the underlying systems crash
> >   regularly is an extremely dangerous way to manage a computing
> >   environment."
> >
> >                               -- Matt Dillon
>
> Was this by any chance in reference to Microsoft's clustering software?

I think this quote is a bit out of context.  Hardware will fail.
Software will fail.  Clustering is one solution to this real world
problem.

cheers,
another Chris Wright ;-)